Anaerobic Digester

Anaerobic Digester
(http://www.adelaide.edu.au/biogas/fair/)

Thursday, September 18, 2008

Small-scale Digester Plan

Once I determine how to attach a hose to the methane container, I will fill the digester with the organic matter that I have collected. The gas that is produced immediately is primarily oxygen. Once the oxygen is removed the digester will begin to produce methane and carbon dioxide – the two gasses that can be burned.
My plan for this small-scale digester is to produce as much methane and carbon dioxide as possible. Once I have collected these gases I will use a six-inch metal pipe that will have two openings. One opening will be approximately 1/16 of an inch in diameter and the other opening will be approximately ½ inch diameter. This pipe will allow the gas to exit the containment jar with higher pressure – allowing me to burn the gas. This pipe will essentially serve as a very small butane burner.

No comments:

Anaerobic Digester Design

Anaerobic Digester Design
This picture was taken from Paul Harris of The University of Adelaide in Roseworthy, South Australia, Australia. (http://www.adelaide.edu.au/biogas/fair/.)